By Arezou Azarani | February 23, 2017 at 06:39 PM EST | No Comments
CNN has published an article about sexual and physical abuse of the elderly in nursing homes and elderly care facilities across the US: "Sick, Dying and Raped in America's Nursing Homes"
"HOW SAFE ARE YOUR ELDERLY LOVED ONES? There’s no way to know about abuse that goes unreported. But you can look up the name of a nursing home in federal inspection data and see whether it has been cited for sexual abuse or other issues in the past three years. Here's how:
- Go to the federal Nursing Home Compare website to look up facilities by name or location.
- On the first page of results, you will see a star rating for the facility based on factors such as staffing levels. A history of abuse or other inspection problems will typically be reflected in the "health inspection" rating.
- Click on the health inspection rating to see a summary of the facility's most recent inspection.
- From here, click on "View all health inspections." For details, go to a specific date and click "View full report."
- From the main profile page for the facility, click on "Penalties" to see if an inspection resulted in fines or payment denials.
- To view older citations, download archived reports here or file a public records request here. Some states may also offer detailed information. A list of state websites is here." From CNN